Nov 30, 2009
The Gill Foundation is one of the nation’s largest funders of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender civil rights work. The goal of our work is straightforward: we want to create an America in which all people, irrespective of their sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, are treated equally.
It is the policy of the Gill Foundation to provide equal opportunity employment in full compliance with all federal, state, and local laws. The foundation’s policy applies to all terms, conditions, and privileges of employment and provides equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, height, weight, or military status and any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER: GLFC
Gay & Lesbian Fund for Colorado (GLFC), a program of the Gill Foundation
The Gay & Lesbian Fund for Colorado (GLFC), a program of the Gill Foundation, is seeking a dynamic, experienced and thoughtful communications professional to help increase the Fund’s awareness throughout Colorado. GLFC was established in 1996 to reflect the fact that lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) Coloradans are committed to our state’s great quality of life and its future. Over the years, we have invested over $22 million in hundreds of high-impact nonprofits that better the quality of life for all Coloradans by providing important arts and culture, civic participation, healthy families, and public broadcasting programs. More information on the Fund can be obtained on our new website: www.gayandlesbianfund.org.
This position reports to the Gill Foundation’s Communications/Marketing Vice President and partners with the executive to complete the 3 person Communications/Marketing team.
- Generate stories in a variety of news mediums about GLFC and the state’s LGBT community.
- Develop and implement a proactive communications plan for GLFC.
- Thought leader and partner to GLFC management and staff on creative ways to explain the organization’s mission and incorporating public relations strategies into new initiatives.
- Manage and update the Fund’s website to include the creation of new content that would help elucidate the organization’s mission and successes as well as the events calendar.
- Conceiving, creating, writing and project managing the Fund’s 2009 e-Annual Report.
- Work collaboratively with GLFC staff to draft, review and edit documents that communicate the work of the organization to external audiences, including toolkits, press releases, media advisories, grantee profiles, newsletters, invitations, bios, email alerts, FAQs, talking points, letters, etc.
- Prepare quarterly Gay & Lesbian Fund e-newsletter.
- Ensure that media lists are continuously updated and maintained in the contact database.
- Establish and maintain open communications and close working relationships with all Gill departments as well as the broad GLFC grantee communities.
- Serve as a communications advisor to GLFC grantees.
- Proven ability to package compelling content and gain successful placements in various forms of news media ranging from newspaper and radio stories to television news coverage.
- Experienced writer comfortable in both short and long formats and writing on deadline. Successful candidate will have written extensively and have a variety of products to demonstrate their proficiency ranging from press releases to newsletters to fact sheets synthesizing complicated issues.
- Become an integral part of the Colorado Center team to include acting as a thought leader and partner on a variety of issues.
- Cultural competence on LGBT issues, issues of social justice and equality and the ways in which nonprofits operate and can impact public will.
- Knowledge and expertise editing website content to include HTML and WordPress.
- Knowledge and sophistication with social media tools.
CRITICAL SUCCESS FACTOR:
Must be a highly motivated, results- and success-oriented self-starter who thrives in a fast paced, multi-tasked environment and is energized by partnering with a hard driving, results-oriented leader.
Experienced candidates ONLY with 7-10 years of public relations experience at increasing levels of responsibility, preferably in the fields of government and nonprofits, should apply.
Superb writing skills, proven media pitching experience, excellent contacts with Colorado press and a track record as a thought leader and partner are essential. BA/BS undergraduate required.
The perfect candidate will be a problem solver, have routinely figured out creative solutions to difficult problems and be committed to the concepts of equality and diversity.
The successful candidate will be able to blend an understanding for the big picture with a high degree of detail and organization.
While the position will be home-based at the Gill Foundation’s offices in the LoDo section of downtown Denver, the communications manager will be required to travel in their own vehicle to the GLFC offices in Colorado Springs at least once a week (if not more) for a variety of meetings. Reliable transportation is a position requirement. The manager will be reimbursed for mileage at the IRS approved rate.
SUBMISSION OF CREDENTIALS:
Please submit your resume and three diverse writing samples to no later than 5pm on Friday, December 18th. Finalists will be interviewed in early January for the position with a job offer expected no later than late January. The successful candidate would be expected to begin no later than mid-February and sooner if possible.
Finalists will be required to take a writing test, administered on site. The one hour test will require candidates to analyze complicated concepts and synthesize them into a one page fact sheet.
TOTAL COMPENSATION PACKAGE
Salary: up to $60,000 dependent on experience (not negotiable above $60K)
Strong benefit package that supports community and work.
E-mail resumes and/or credentials and writing samples to: Diane Marcum at email@example.com (please list GLFC Communications Manager Position in subject line). No phone calls please. Please do not contact Gill Foundation directly.