Feb 6, 2015
Howard Brown Health Center – Chicago, IL
The Senior Accountant is responsible for supporting all accounting operations including accounts payable, cash receipts, payroll, monthly close processing, account reconciliation, grants management, preparation for annual audit and all HBHC tax related matters .
Senior Accountant Howard Brown Health Center
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Leads the monthly general ledger close process from beginning to end, and plays a lead role in ensuring that all material account reconciliations including bank reconciliations are prepared and reviewed on a monthly basis.
- Performs monthly account analysis of balance sheet and income statement accounts in conjunction with monthly close process and month-end closing schedule.
- Assists the Assistant Controller in all aspects and functions of the monthly accounting, record keeping, and write up and posting of adjusting journal entries related to all operating cycles of the monthly close process.
- Works with Assistant Controller and Patient Billing Manager to insure appropriate cut-off in the EMR software (Centricity) for accurate reporting to the general ledger. Prepares monthly journal entries to record patient revenue and adjustments.
- Assists the Assistant Controller with the preparation of prepared by client work papers for the annual financial audit as well as assists with the annual inventory ahead of fiscal year end.
- Maintains and manages the reporting of fixed assets.
- May be asked to prepare expense reimbursement vouchers to funding sources as needed and may be asked to take a lead role in the preparation of the Schedule of Expenditures of Federal Awards (SEFA) for annual audit.
- Works with Development staff to ensure the integrity of Raisers’ Edge to the general ledger’s Financial Edge.
- Identify process improvements and cost reduction opportunities while ensuring appropriate accounting controls are followed.
- Takes a lead role in compliance ensuring that HBHC internal controls are monitored and in place, and makes recommendations on how to improve internal controls as needed. In addition, focuses attention on remaining compliance findings (as applicable) and management letter comments so that compliance is a primary focus throughout the fiscal year.
- Responsible for assisting in the preparation of the 990’s, 1099’s and any other HBHC tax related matter.
- Assists in the annual operating and capital budget preparation including meeting with various programmatic staff throughout the budget process.
- Assists in the preparation of the Medicare and Medicaid Cost Reports.
- Interfaces with programmatic staff in responding to requests directed to any member of the Accounting Team.
- Manages maintenance of accounting software which includes user and general ledger account set-up and end user support.
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance required
- Experience working for not for profit organizations, preferably in a Community Health Center environment.
Self-motivated individual who can assume a leadership role, work independently as well as work closely with the Assistant Controller and Controller.
- Must possess ability to handle a high volume of detailed work while meeting tight deadlines and maintaining accuracy.
- Experience with Microsoft Word and Excel required
- Experience with Blackbaud programs (Financial Edge and Power Plan) preferred
- Must be comfortable working with the LGBT community.
Work space is limited and must be shared for most effective usage. Must be able to meet monthly deadlines and work well under stress. Must be willing to work as many hours as needed in order complete the monthly duties and responsibilities associated with the position.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply for this position, please follow the link provided to submit your cover letter and resume together as one document into our ADP system. https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=12280171
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT:
Decisions and criteria governing the employment relationship with all employees at Howard Brown are made in a non-discriminatory manner, without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, pregnancy, disability, sexual orientation, gender expression, veteran status, age, FMLA status, or any other factor determined to be unlawful by federal, state or local statutes.